As the name suggests, laser cutting is the usage of laser to cut through materials of great thickness, using a high intensity charge that makes the cutting process quicker and easier. Primarily used in industrial applications, especially in the manufacturing department, this technology is also gaining popularity amongst many hobbyists and schools. Due to its accuracy and speed, many industries are turning to laser cutting machines to save time and deliver high end products. As it saves time, you can take up more orders which will increase your net returns.
The principle working of the laser cutting machine involves the generation of a laser beam through the stimulation of lasing material via electrical discharges in a closed container. The beam produced by the lasing material gets reflected by mirror up to the point where it is capable to be directed as a monochromatic light. One of the key benefits of lasercutting is that it works on a variety of surfaces and materials, for example, it can cut through a 13 mm stainless steel sheet in less than 0.5 seconds.
Applications of Laser Cutting:
From the late 1960, laser cutting has been used not only in large scale manufacturing industries like automobiles or electronics, but also it has gained popularity amongst smaller industries that deal with delicate works. While it is a growing technology, its popularity has already reached heights. With the wide range of materials, its precision cutting makes it a favorite over mechanical and plasma cutting.
- Laser engraving/marking is a budding field. The process is very simple. A specified depth is removed from the surface to create a logo that serves as an identification. While engraving has its buyers, marking is a safer and longer lasting effect, as it penetrates deeper into the material leaving the mark permanently. Engravings might fade away or smudge and become softer but marking will not.
- Jewelry business is going gaga over the use of laser cutting. They are using it to its fullest potential. It provides the high precision and speed required to cut the perfect earring or design of the beautiful necklace. Laser engraving is combined when it comes to lettering on a ring. The intricate and detailing of many designs is possible all thanks to the laser cutting. Apart from saving labor and time, this process also saves wastage of deformed precious metals.
- Sculptures are another aspect that has gained momentum due to the invention of laser cutting. Many contemporary artists have turned to create stunning abstract sculptures with the help of laser cutting machine. This, otherwise would have been a tedious job in the past. Michelangelo would have loved this technology during his time.
- Aerospace industry has gained a lot with that of the laser cutting. With stainless steel, titanium, and aluminum cutting and shaping becomes easier, especially in aerospace engineering precision is of utmost importance.
- Designing over wood or paper used to be a tedious process, as etching had to be done with patience and precision. A slight shake and the whole hard work go down the drain. Usually, with such fragile or brittle material, you cannot use tools that will break it but this problem is solved with lasercutting Now, you can make use of metallic business cards with laser cutting engraving to prevent the card from getting damaged or create beautiful name plates and boards that will look beautiful for years to come.
- Material ablation is another use of laser cutting, especially if you are in the leather business. In this process, the material is cut along a certain depth throughout the length to separate the top and the bottom.
Overall, more precise and time saving, laser cutting is profitable for any modern business with skill craftsmanship. The technology of today is intended for achieving perfection. With negligible hassles fine in-grain cutting can be achieved even in the most stubborn of materials. Its industrial application has led many businesses into a booming industry.